Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Fight for Water
June 3, 2009


Airica was doing great!  Watching movies, being funny, and even creating practical jokes.  The speech therapist was the one who would determine if Airica could drink water or not.  She would be given a few ice chips and they would see how well she could swallow and prevent it from falling into her lungs.  

Every time a nurse came in and asked Airica, "Is there anything else you need?"  she would say, "Yes...water!"  Airica was serious and the nurses wanted to just give her what she wanted, but they had to follow the orders of the speech therapist.

Today the speech therapist said Airica could drink water.  Just small amounts through a straw.  She was so happy.  She knew that she had to be very careful drinking.  She asked the speech therapist not to tell her nurse yet because she wanted to have a little fun.  She calls for her nurse, and put on her best sad, pouty face.  She then proceeds to tell he nurse that she needs and wants water so badly, and she is so sad and depressed because she is so thirsty.  The nurse gets a sad face and says,  "I'm so sorry Airica, I wish I could help you."  Then Airica can't keep a straight face anymore and giggles.  The nurse laughs so hard and we all cheer for the fact she can drink water now...slowly.

Another great day.  Lots of fun, laughs and a water win!  As everything settles down into evening, Airica wants to keep her New Moon shirt on.  Christopher promised to take her to see it in November. She was so excited.  She then looked at him and said, "Daddy, every time I look at your face I see New Moon!"  Then I asked her, "What do you see when you look at my face?"  Airica turned to me on her bed, placed her hands on my cheeks, looked me right in the eyes and said so gently, so seriously, "When I look at you Mommy, I see me."


No comments:

Post a Comment