Monday, June 11, 2012


OM


My life has brought me here, to the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Farm in Grass Valley, CA once again.  I say my life, I mean my journey in this life, and with a lot of help and support from my amazing husband. (I love you Lovie)  I was here in October 2010 for the Teacher Training Course, and now I have returned for the Advanced Teacher Training Course.

As soon as I arrived I felt at home in this beautiful, spiritual yoga retreat.  By retreat, I mean away from the noise of the world, TV, cars, electronics, not a spa...well maybe a spa for your soul.  So many things seemed as if they were just as I left them, others seemed so different.  

The first time I came to this ashram it was in 2008 with my whole family of 4.  I wanted my girls to see where I would be for the month that I was gone.  I wanted them to feel the feeling that you get when you come here.  We had a great visit and took lots of pictures.

Then I came for TTC.  As you know lots of stuff had happened between 2008 and when I arrived for TCC in October 2010.  I remember coming here wanting to learn yoga, wanting to be a yoga teacher, and at the same time not knowing what to expect.  There were so many things that I didn't understand about the place, about yoga philosophy and traditions, and I felt a bit overwhelmed, but eager to learn.  By the end of TTC I knew a lot more about myself, my spiritual path, and how to properly teach asana (posture).

Now, I am here once again.  I have since realized that I still have so much to learn about yoga, and about myself.  The thing about yoga is that the asana part that is so popular, and such a fad, is one tiny piece of a whole larger picture. In order to even begin that journey, first you have to learn about your Self.

That is a tougher task than you would think.  Not what you look like, not what you think you are, who you think you are, or even what others see you as.  I mean deep down, way inside, truly honestly who you are.  See, I told you is was tougher than you thought ;)

The great thing is that yoga philosophy has a whole bunch of tools, guidelines, and even some tricks to help you get out of your mind, and deeper into your Self.  This is the "practice" of yoga.  Yes, it's still hard but so far, it has been worth every inquiry for me. 

Just an overview of an ordinary day here at ATTC.  We (yup, we, I'm not the only crazy yogi) wake up at 4:30am in preparation for an hour of pranayama/bandhas which are breathing exercises that increase lung capacity, give you prana (energy) and have lots of other positive health benefits.  Then at 6am morning satsung.  This is where we silently meditate for 30 minutes together, sing/chant kirtan (devotional songs) and hear a lecture from our main teacher Swami Sitaramananda to start our day off.  Then 8am asana class for an hour, followed by an hour of advanced yoga anatomy.  By this time it's 10am and time for breakfast.  Delicious, sattvic (pure and healthy for the body) food.  Then 10:45am time for karma yoga for an hour.  This is the yoga of action.  We all are given a job/duty to do to help the ashram maintain it's self sufficiency. At 12pm is either sanskrit writing, reading, and speaking, or Patanjali Maharishi's Raja Yoga Sutras philosophy.  Then after that at 1:30pm we have a free hour.  Usually used to shower, or to study and complete homework that is given in almost every class.  Then 2:30pm is our main lecture with Swami Sita on Vedanta Philosophy.  Raja Yoga Sutras and Vedanta are two separate yogic philosophies, but they compliment each other.  Then at 4pm we have 30 minutes pranayama and then an hour of advanced asana class.  Whew!  I'm getting tired writing this :)  Then at 6pm is dinner, followed by evening satsung at 7:30.  Which is the same as morning except for no lecture usually a special guest or speaker.  Then some warm almond milk with cardamom and off to bed at 9:30pm so we can wake up again at 4:30am.

Today is Monday, a day off...well kind of.  We still have to attend the early morning pranayama/bandhas class, and morning and evening satsungs, and also complete our karma yoga.  Then we are free to catch up on homework, study, or anything else we would like to do.  

It has been one week of this tight schedule, and I am loving every minute.  Being here feels so wonderful, and to deepen my sadhana (spiritual practice) here with the guidance of such great, knowledgeable, loving teachers is amazing.  I just wanted to take a few minute away from studying to share a little but about my first week here.
 Om

1 comment:

  1. Love that you are there, learning even more. I'd love to hear your journey from June 2009 to today. I think a lot of people might benefit from the work that had to be done to get to where you are now. Love you tons! xo

    ReplyDelete