Friday, June 1, 2012

Monday is Finally Here
June 1, 2009


Monday was the day that we had all been waiting for.  The physical therapist (PT) would be there soon to see if Airica could shower, find out if they had to reinsert the feeding tube, and now we found out out it was also a day called Cops for Kids.  

The PT came in pretty early, I think she knew how anxious Airica was to get up and about.  She would ask Airica to do different things to determine how much movement and muscle strength she had.  The determination was that Airica was doing far better than expected.  The PT said that getting up into a wheel chair and showering sitting down would be great.  The PT asked Airica is she had anymore questions.  Airica began to ask her how she could use her hands and fingers better to text and type.  The PT showed her some simple exercises that would help get her to her goal.

They decided not to reinsert the feeding tube.  They would allow her to try to eat pureed foods to start and see how that went.  Then they would determine if she was getting enough calories without the feeding tube.  I had a feeling that they just knew she was going to pull it out again if they put in another one!

Now to the shower.  Airica had a bathroom and shower in her room so the journey to the shower was a short one.  She was so excited to shower.  I have never seen anyone enjoy a shower as much as Airica did that day.  She sat on the bench in the shower and held the removable shower head over her body and closed her eyes and smiled.  I washed her hair for her, still trying to get the last of the blood out of her hair.  I think she could have stayed in there forever, but she had to get out so I could do her hair for the Cops for Kids, after all she might be in the news paper.

I brushed Airica's hair and made her two little braids.  Then I helped her stand near the sink to look at herself.  She loved to look at herself.  She then noticed the large scar on her neck.  I told her that was from the machine that kept her alive.  I promised her that I would read her the journal I kept of what happened later that night.  She then brushed her own teeth, while admiring herself in the mirror.


Cops for Kids was really cool.  They came to get Airica from her room to participate.  They knew of her miraculous recovery and also how excited she was to shower that day, and let her be first.  She got to go into a huge room of toys and stuffed animals that were donated by the cops and their families.  She was so excited, she felt like a star.  She picked a toy, and the biggest stuffed animal that was there (she wanted to feel like Miley Cyrus in the 7 Things I Hate About You video).  Then she got to pose with some cops and take pictures.  It was an awesome event. 


If all that excitement wasn't enough, her two best friends came to visit her soon after.  They had bought her a yearbook, took it around to all the students and teachers to sign, and brought to Airica.  It was so nice.  The three girls sat there and looked through the pages pointing out cute boys, gross boys, cool girls, and snotty girls.  Regular teen girl stuff.  Watching this made me feel like we were all normal again.

After the busy day full of events was over, we all get ready for bed.  I snuggled up to Airica and said my goodnights.  She reminded me that I promised to read her the journal that I kept.  So, I did.  I read her each page that I wrote from the day that she went to sleep until the day they took the breathing tube out.  She was amazed and shocked.  We laughed and cried together.  I told her how strong she was and how proud I was of her.  Then I wrapped my arms around her and we went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment